Search This Blog

December 2, 2009

dAz's weekly Diggin In The Crates album pick: #2

CYMANDE - "2nd TIME AROUND"

What can I say about this album except that most of Cymande's more famous/well known tracks were actually on their first "self titled" album with more familiar samples and funky grooves. But this album was always a little more deep to me, so I have a better appreciation for it.



With tracks like: Genevieve, Willy's Headache, Crawshay, & Fug. The simple rhythms, rolling bass lines, funky horns, piano riffs, hand claps, percussion, drums, and conscious lyrics of "Second Time Around" made for one of those albums that makes you want to roll up a joint, burn some incense, play from start to finish, and just be freeeeee. Its like a harder, deeper, funkier version of it's predecessor infusing funk and calypso rhythms due to the Jamaican, Guyanese, and British back grounds of the band and their influences of American funk and r&b. With lyrics like "It makes no difference what you think of me, once again I'm free" you can see that they were most likely influenced by the Marvin Gaye songs "What's Going On" and "Inner City Blues" due to the time period of the albums release.

I have to say that I'm surprised that Hip Hop producers during the "golden era" didn't loop up some of these breaks because they are mos' def' simplistically banging, and just primed for an ill mc to toast nice vibes over the top of these loops. Trust me, ya need this album in ya life, either on Vinyl, CD or MP3. I have an original press Lp. Sorry... now I'm just braggin'. hehe


Crawshay - Cymande

No comments:

Post a Comment